Some time ago we made the decision to begin the journey of “greenify-ing” our design practice. Obviously we’re by no means trendsetters where this is concerned, (not only are there lots of other studios doing much more on the sus-design front, but conferences, groups and resources to forward the cause) but we’d like to think that there’s no time like the present to start trying to make a difference.
We’ll highlight more of the resources and information that we find as time goes on but this posts focus is a Master’s thesis study by Rebecca Green on “What can be done to promote Sustainable Design in Brisbane Australia.” Although the study is geographically focussed in Australia the insights are applicable to any market. I know there’ll be something of use for designers and non-designers alike in there (even if it’s just a great history lesson) and some inspiration to do your little part to forward the cause of Sustainable Design.
For our part we’ve started promoting recycled paper to our clients…
…in addition to using a printer that only uses soy-based inks. We even used tree-free Yupo paper for our own business cards and included some pertinent propaganda on the backs to help spread the knowledge…
But enough about us, read the study and let us know what you think, and share some of the changes you’ve been making to go green.
Some major observations:
– the main elements to the “issue” is awareness and actionable ideas
– More needs to be done in the form of education: clients, designers and student designers
– Designers’ ability to creatively problem-solve make us uniquely qualified to help with coming up with possible solutions to environmental and social sustainability issues. (i.e. dealing with the actionable ideas part.)
– Graphic designer’s skills in perception maniuplation makes us even more qualified in garnering attention to the challenges and motivaing at least an emotional response if not actual civic activity.(i.e. dealing with the awareness part)
And here are some other resources we found:
- Grow Guide (AIGA NY) guide of useful resources, articles and studios practicing green design
- Metropolitan Group’s Tips on Sustainable design
- Fellow green designer Designarchy’s list of resources
- Design by Nature: Online Australian resource for eco-minded designers
- This one includes among other things a good slide presentation on Building brands for sustainable businesses Scamper Brand Strategies