10 Secrets of Typography
Well it turns out there are only 4. But the error’s easily forgiven since Allan Haley from Monotype brought a ton of useful tips and examples on how to woo your audience with type.
The basic run-down flows like a mating ritual:
- Get Noticed
- Romance the Reader
- Be Provocative
- Build Commitment
He had tips like:
- embrace “white” space
- play with punctuation create shapes and games to involve the reader
- create clever crops
- supersize it (but be careful with serif fonts)
- use a non-font
- hold attention by making paragraphs short and columns narrow
- be consistent (especially applicable to multi-page documents)
- sweat the details like rags, kerning and character usage
In short, build a relationship with the reader and somehow make it fun.
One of the many examples Mr. Halley delighted us with
Now the learnin’ part of today’s over for me, I might take a nap before tonight’s Black & White party. Yeah right! Apple store here I come!